Many important financial issues inherent to divorce cases — and, there are more than one million divorces each year — are routinely overlooked. However, once a divorce settlement has been signed, it’s too late to make changes. Our Certified Divorce Financial Analyst is trained to address these important issues for men and women in the process of divorce and to provide litigation support for their attorneys, which helps them prove and often settle their case. The following list illustrates just a few of the primary areas about which our professionals can offer a solid financial perspective.
- Who should keep the house?
- How much will it cost to live post-divorce?
- How much alimony is there going to be and for how long?
- Will the custody arrangement affect child support?
- How can the retirement accounts be split and the money accessed?
- Should a business be valued?
- What are the tax consequences of property settlements?
- Most important of all, will the clients be able to financially survive (and thrive) with the settlement post-divorce?
OUR CERTIFIED DIVORCE FINANCIAL ANALYST
- For information about this practice area, contact our firm’s Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, Susan Kennedy at email@example.com.
EMPLOYEE BENEFIT PLANS
In today’s complex employment market, more and more attention has been paid to employee benefits. Employers face the challenge of creating an attractive workplace while controlling costs, keeping in compliance with regulations, and understanding the financial effects benefit plans have on their businesses.
Our professionals are experienced in helping companies with all aspects of employee benefit plans — from initial design to implementation, administration, and compliance services. We’re proud of our track record of providing employee benefit-related services; our experience ranges from smaller plans to those with literally thousands of participants. Our expertise includes:
- Outlining tax planning opportunities when setting up a qualified retirement plan
- Designing defined benefit plans, defined contribution plans, cash balance plans, and profit sharing plans
- General plan reviews
- Feasibility studies (e.g., for redesign of existing plans, or to determine whether a company should convert to a cash balance plan, etc.)
- Transition policy services — recommending options for making conversions easier on employees
- Developing prototype plans and submit plan documentation for IRS approval
- Prepare required annual reports and participant information
- Form 5500 preparation
- Employee benefit plan financial and compliance audits
- Assistance in termination of plans
As tax and legal systems reach new levels of complexity, proper estate planning becomes critical to estate preservation. At Case | Sabatini, we help clients form lifetime transfer plans to reduce estate taxes and maximize family assets. By combining our income and estate tax experience with a clear understanding of our client’s long-term financial goals, Case | Sabatini goes beyond the numbers to see how today’s tax rulings will impact your business, your family and your personal estate. At Case | Sabatini, we will:
- Review present wills and trust documents
- Suggest alternatives to current estate plans and calculate tax savings
- Review a closely-held business for proper valuation and future transfer
- Review retirement plans and life insurance benefits
- Identify potential liquidity problems caused by federal and state death taxes
- Help develop a lifetime gifting program through family-limited partnerships, charitable trusts, and qualified personal residence trusts.
- Prepare returns to assist with the probate process and final estate accounting, including gift tax returns, final individual tax returns, federal and state estate tax returns, and trust returns.
When value comes into question, lenders, insurers, the courts and government agencies require expert opinion to support the claims. Case | Sabatini provides that expertise, putting to work our vast experience with a wide range of closely-held businesses. For every valuation, we combine the skills of a Certified Valuation Analyst with our extensive knowledge as Certified Public Accountants. We leverage a thorough understanding of accounting, taxation and finance to form the most fundamentally sound value judgments, always taking into account the intricacies and subtleties of each unique case.
Our valuation experience includes business appraisals for:
- Estate, inheritance, and gift taxes
- Succession planning
- Charitable contributions
- Mergers, acquisitions, and sales of
- Damages litigation